The northern portion of the San Francisco Peninsula was home to the Yelama Tribe of the Ohlone Indians. A distinct village group of the Yelamu traveled between two settlements in the Visitacion Valley area. European settlement of Visitacion Valley began in the 1850s, when people began to establish farms and plant nurseries.
Initially, the area was primarily rural and agricultural, but by the early 1900s, some farmland was subdivided into residential lots. The agrarian character of Visitacion Valley began to shift in the early 20th century, when streetcar lines were extended to the area providing convenient access to downtown San Francisco, supporting more intensive land uses. As Visitacion Valley grew from a rural agricultural settlement to a mixed-use neighborhood with residential and industrial uses, Bayshore Boulevard became a major north/south road providing access between San Francisco, Brisbane and San Bruno to the south. As the neighborhood grew, Leland Avenue became its commercial center.
The project site has long been home to manufacturing and industrial activity. On the eastern portion of the site, The Southern Pacific Railroad Company (SPRR) freight line, was constructed in the early 20th century and helped spur industrial development in the area when it constructed a station in Visitacion Valley, providing convenient access to materials as well as to local and national markets. The same tracks are used today by CalTrain, which provides passenger rail service between San Francisco and San Jose via the Bayshore station located on the site.
1926: The Schlage Lock factory opened on San Bruno Boulevard in 1926.
The western portion of the site is the former home of the Schlage Lock Company. For more than 70 years, it employed Visitacion Valley residents, who produced component parts for locks. The Schlage Lock Factory benefitted from the site’s proximity to the SPRR freight station, as well as the availability of labor. Many Schlage inventions, such as the push-button door lock, were created and produced at the factory on Brisbane Boulevard in Visitacion Valley.
1974: Ingersoll-Rand, a diversified industrial company, bought the Schlage Lock Company.
Ingersoll Rand continued manufacturing products under the Schlage Lock Company name. The two southern-most buildings were sold to Pacific Lithograph Company, which used the buildings for a printing operation, for several years before being resold to Ingersoll Rand.
1989: UPC purchased the 7.6-acre UPRR property adjacent to the Schlage Lock factory.
1999: Ingersoll-Rand shuts down the Schlage Lock factory, among the last machine-making operations left in the City. The vacant 12.3-acre factory property would later be found to be contaminated with toxic substances.
Ingersoll Rand moved production to another location, and the buildings on the Schlage Lock site have been closed and vacant since that time. For a brief time, the site was proposed for redevelopment as a Home Depot by Ingersoll Rand and their development partners. This event sparked a planning process that continues today.
Renderings Courtesy CCSF & VMWP